Pages

My Philosophy ~ I am not afraid of growing old, I am afraid of being fat, unhealthy and unhappy for the rest of my life.

Low Carb, Sugar Free Almond Pancakes

I have decided that if I to have to live low carb for the rest of my life that I might as well learn to bake low carb. I ordered some Almond and Coconut flours from Netrition.com to be used in place of white or wheat flours. There are many advantages to using these flours such as they are gluten free and very low carb.

So here is the first recipe that I have made using the Almond flour.

I originally found this recipe on the internet while searching for recipes using Almond Flour. I did some tweaking and here is what I came up with.


WARNING!! THESE ARE ADDICTIVE!! I ATE THE WHOLE BATCH THE FIRST TIME I MADE THESE.....OMG THEY WERE SOOOOO GOOD!!!!

Now I only eat one with a scrambled egg and a cup of coffee. I use Walden Farms Maple Syrup (No carbs or calories) but they can actually be eaten plain.

Be sure to refrigerate the leftovers.

Almond meal (or almond flour) differs a bit from one batch to the other, so you may have to adjust the amount of liquid to get the thickness you want. I included the name brands of the foods I used because different products have different nutritional values.

Ingredients

  • 2 cups almond flour (NOW foods)
  • 2 tbsp coconut oil (Lou Ann) softened
  • 1 tsp Splenda Essentials with Fiber, granulated (not in a packet)
  • 1/2 tsp baking powder (Clabber Girl)
  • 2 large eggs
  • 1/4 cup water

Directions

  1. Mix dry ingredients together first. 
  2. Add egg and oil. 
  3. Slowly add water while mixing until you get to the batter thickness you want. (*the first time I made these I added all of the water and the batter was to thin.)
  4. Divide batter into four. (appx 1/3 cup each) 
  5. Cook as you would other pancakes. Using a nonstick pan with a little oil or spray.  Flip them when you see some very small bubbles and the underside is brown. (This batter won't bubble on top the same way as regular pancakes). 
  6. After flipping them you should see them rise in the middle just like other pancakes do. When they stop rising and are golden brown then they are done.
  7. Serve with low carb topping. Walden Farms Maple Syrup is what I use. They have zero carbs and zero calories. 
Makes 4 (realistic) pancakes
Only 1.24 net carbs each

Nutrition Facts
Serving Size 1 Serving
Amount Per Serving
Calories from Fat 193
Calories 242
% Daily Values*
Total Fat 21.48g33%
Saturated Fat 7.775g39%
Polyunsaturated Fat 0.341g
Monounsaturated Fat 1.452g
Cholesterol 106mg35%
Sodium 68mg3%
Potassium 208mg
Total Carbohydrate 4.44g1%
Dietary Fiber 3.2g13%
Sugars 1.19g
Protein 8.14g
Vitamin A 0%Vitamin C 0%
Calcium 8%Iron 8%
*Percent Daily Values are based on a 2000 calorie diet. Your daily values may be higher or lower depending on your calorie needs.

Nutrition Values are based on USDA Nutrient Database SR18

No comments: